Thursday, June 24, 2010

This is the sort of crap I'm talking about.


Two weeks ago, I set out to remove four old fence posts from our yard.  Today, I got the first one out. 

From Home

Seriously though, WTF?

The posts were used to hold up a welded-wire fence, and stick out of the ground about 4 feet.  The cement bases stick into the ground about 3 1/2 feet.  Why would you do this?

From Home
What did the former owners keep here?  Zombies?

The fence was designed to hold chickens.  The fence posts were designed to withstand a rabid chimpanzee attack.  The corral was designed to hold--I don't know.  Rabbits would burrow.  Small dogs would get bored.  Big dogs wouldn't be able to defecate and lie down. 

So I dug the first one out with a shovel.  It took me forever, because I never guessed how far down either the post or the concrete went.  Then (eventually) I pulled them out of the hole I dug by grabbing the posts and lifting.  Yes, it is as heavy as it looks.  No, I didn't herniate anything, thanks for asking.

From Home

While digging this hole, I found water.  It could have come from one of 3 places: a.) It's been raining a lot.  I started digging this hole and let it sit.  It might have collected during the storm.  b.) The posts don't have caps.  It could have leaked out of the post into the hole I dug.  (By the way, you see those roots?  They weren't fun, either.)  c.) Do you know what a "water table" is?  'Cos I might have hit it.

I did manage to get out two posts today, before I started to worry about dehydration.  I'll take out the next two--some other time.

Also:  Why does my dirt change color and get a lot harder about 14 inches down?

No comments:

Post a Comment